Salt Lake City Area of Northern Utah
The Mary Meigs Atwater Weaving Guild meets in the Salt Lake City area of Utah.
The guild normally meets on the 2nd Thursday each month, 6:30 PM, at the South Valley Unitarian Church, 6876 South Highland Drive (NW corner by KFC at 2000 East and 7200 South). This date is changed as necessary for special events and speakers, so be sure and check the newsletter.
April Guild Meeting
What: Teaching Double Weave to Back Strap Weavers in Peru, by Jennifer Moore
When: Thursday, April 11, 2019, 6:30 p.m.
Where: Utah Cultural Celebration Center, 1355 West 3100 South
At our April Meeting, we will have the pleasure of listening to
Jennifor Moore, author of the comprehensive book Doubleweave
and internationally recognized instructor. Jennifer is in Salt
Lake City to teach a three-day workshop on double weave, and
the full Guild will have the opportunity to hear her on
Jennifer will share her experiences with teaching double weave to 20 master Peruvian back strap weavers at the first Tinkuy Weaver’s Conference held in Urubamba, Peru. To teach these weavers, she had to first teach herself how to weave on a back strap loom, and try to learn Spanish and Quechua weaving terminology. How is that for a challenge!!!
Jennifer was invited to teach by Nilda Callanaupa, founder and director of the Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco. Double weave pickup was developed in the Andes about 3000 years ago but died out in Peru after the arrival of the Spanish in the fifteenth century. After the conference, Jennifer spent 10 days traveling in Peru, so it will be a colorful and interesting evening program!
Please note: The April meeting will be held at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center, where the Guild’s show “For the Love of Fiber” is hanging. Instead of Show and Tell, we will meet at 6:30 p.m. in the main floor gallery to enjoy the show and visit with each other. At 7:00 p.m., we will go downstairs to rooms 103 and 104 for the program.
- March 7 - April 24 2019: Guild Fiber Exhibit: “For the Love of Fiber” at UCCC
- April 11–13 2019: Jennifer Moore Doubleweave Workshop at UCCC
- April 11 2019: April Guild meeting, with Jennifer Moore sharing her experience with teaching double weave to Peruvian backstrap weavers.
- April 25 2019: Pick up items from UCCC
- May 9 2019: Guild meeting: Participants share results of the Guild Challenge—Color and Weave Mimi Rodes
- June 8 2019 (Saturday): June Guild meeting. Learn how to make designer paper beads with Catherine Marchant, including a potluck lunch. Start saving colored magazine pages and colored paper to work with.
- 14 September 2019: Needle felting.
Southwest Utah Branch
A southwest Utah branch of the guild meets in Washington, UT.
The branch meets on the third Monday of every month at 5:30 pm at a members house from September to April.
See Southwest Utah Branch for more information.