Fabulous Fibers! A MMAWG 26th Biannual Exhibit
A Celebration of Utah Fiber Art
2 Sep 2021 to 13 Oct 2021
Utah Cultural Celebration Center, Main Gallery
1355 West 3100 South West Valley City
Download the Prospectus
This exhibit will celebrate the creativity and strength of Utah Fiber Artists over the past two years. We anticipate that many of the entries (but certainly not all) will have been created during the pandemic as our fibers became our friends and important sources of inspiration during difficult times. It is a celebration of both traditional and non-traditional weaving, surface design, and all types of fiber arts.
Entry in the exhibit is open to any fiber artist living in Utah. Entries must be handcrafted using any type of fiber art technique. Each participant may submit up to three original entries to be judged. (If more than three items are entered, the additional items must be marked “for display only.”) Entries must have been completed after April 2019 and not have been shown in any previous Guild exhibit.
- Submission of Entries: Friday, August 27, from noon to 6:00 p.m. Works will be accepted at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center, Main Gallery (note: the intake day has recently changed to Aug. 27)
- If you are unable to deliver your entries to UCCC that afternoon, please contact Mimi Rodes (contact information end of page 2 of the Prospectus) to make other arrangements.
- Exhibit Opening Reception: September 2nd 6-8:00 pm
- Exhibit Open: September 2–October 13
- Exhibit Takedown/Pickup: October 14, from noon to 6:00 p.m.
There is a nonrefundable entry fee for up to three entries: MMAWG Members: $15
Non-Guild members: $20
Checks should be made payable to Mary Meigs Atwater Weaver’s Guild or MMAWG.
The artist assigns the sale price or insurance value of each item. The Utah Cultural Celebration Center will deduct a 30% commission from all sales, so the sale price must include this commission. Items can be marked NFS (not for sale).
Works should be ready for display. The top and face of each piece should be clearly marked if necessary. If the entry requires a mannequin, rod, armature, etc., the artist must provide it. The artist must attach the identification tag provided with the Entry Form.
The entries will be juried for entry into the show by a committee of Guild members. Judging criteria will include originality, quality of execution, use of color and materials in the categories listed below. The show will be judged for awards by Robyn Spady.
Artists will choose one of the following categories for each entry:
- Functional (table linens, rugs, garments, etc.)
- Nonfunctional (two- or multi-dimensional pieces)
- Original, one-of-a-kind and not executed under supervision
- Adapted from a design source (source should be listed)
- Student entries (may be executed under supervision or reproduced from a design source; source should be listed)
- For display only (not considered for awards)